Sunday, January 10, 2010

WASTE NOT, REUSE, REPURPOSE, RECYCLE...

Some ramblings on this topic...


While on the treadmill this morning, I noticed one of the gym's televisions sporting a bar graph displaying that America's unemployment statistics are still at about 10%. I have friends who have lost jobs, and know of many other cyber friends who are struggling financially.

The Green movement is so appealing. I helped my older son construct a pamphlet earlier this school year on the billions of water bottles that do not end up being recycled, but rather clog our landfill instead. I hope that people are beginning to "wake up" to the reality of (and the enormity of) the waste in our country. We are a "disposable" nation.

Perhaps it is too big a stretch, but with our nation's economy being the way it is and the necessity of living with less, it is my hope that we become more aware of how MUCH we waste (money, time, food, disposable containers, etc). If everyone improved a little in this regard, our planet would be happier.

What I am writing here are just my own little thoughts that have been building up over the past year or so....a gradual AWARENESS of how wasteful I have been and a slow REFORM of my ways. For example, a year or more ago, if I had a disposable recyclable container while out and about with no recycling container to throw it into, I would likely have simply thrown it in the trash. Now I hang onto it until I can toss it in the proper recycling container. If I had a bunch of potato peelings, I would throw them into the trash. Now I throw them on our mulch pile. And I am more careful with money and food. I save leftover food and transform it into something else. I have nicknamed my husband "The Sweep," because he will take anything leftover for lunch, which also helps us prevent wastefulness and helps with the food budget.

Recently, some of our planting beds died because we had to have our house fumigated (termites were munching through the house in a severe way). Once we cleared the beds out, we began transplanting bushes and plants from overgrown areas, and filled in with some very simple flowers from the Home Depot that cost no more than $20, including mulch. Today I repotted some of my indoor plants, reusing a couple of my old topiary frames I had, so I can recreate these beautiful things on my own. I even made my own window washing solution today with water and vinegar, using a spray bottle from a former life. I know these are just little things, but little things do add up.

My husband harvested about 10 oranges from our tree in the backyard this afternoon (one of which is pictured above) and we got to thinking about growing more of our own produce. Believe me, we have a TINY, SoCal-sized backyard....so it may be difficult to accomplish this, but I think we will give it a try.

The amount of packaging and cardboard used for convenience foods is mind-boggling to me lately. When you stop and think about it all....it is enormous. People sure eat a lot and then we throw the containers away. I might be sounding a bit "granola" here, but I am beginning to understand more completely how much more healthy it is to cook from scratch (no preservatives and fewer containers) and how much less expensive it is to buy in bulk from bins.

So for now, I see that I am on some kind of road to a displeasure with excess. Too much waste, too much stuff, too much fat, too much disregard for the bigger picture. I am not sure where the road will necessarily go from here, but so far, it appears I am on a track that can only help.

Steph.

3 comments:

  1. I like this post Steph...we DO throw too much stuff away. When I think of the bags we take to the curb, and then multiply that by each household in my community. Then try to imagine multiplying that by all the communities across our country. It's mind boggling. We've never been big bottled water drinkers - we use them only when we're on the road. But our area doesn't recycle all materials (like glass) and I always feel bad throwing that out. But you're right...every step we take is one step closer in taking care of this home that God gave us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this nice tips 147896325

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...