Sunday, February 20, 2011

Cold days in SoCal...

It's been cold here....and on the nearby mountains there is SNOW!  Any exercise I have done in the past few days has been in the warm comfort of a gym...otherwise, I have been holed up at home cooking, baking and reading (in addition to all the usual responsibilities)..and I might add that I have been enjoying it.  :)



Last night I made Chunky Tomato and Bacon Soup-I adapted the recipe from an afternoon tea cooking class that I took with my sister a couple of years ago.  Basically, I reduced the fat content significantly.  It may not look too lovely, but it tastes FABULOUS, (believe me!):

Here is how I made it:

Chop up a medium onion and cook it in a little butter with a pound of turkey bacon, cut up into small pieces until fully cooked.
Add 8C peeled tomatoes cut up (I used organic canned tomatoes), 1-2C chicken stock/broth, and some fresh or dried thyme.  Cook on low for about 25 minutes or so.
Add 1/2C milk and 1C nonfat cream and continue cooking on low for 10 more minutes or so.

I served this soup with crusty bread and a fruit salad.  Later in the evening, I made an orange cake from scratch even though I promised my husband I would stop baking so much!  SIGH.  He did enjoy it, at least.  This is what cold weather does to me (it is likely a God-send that I live in a sunny climate or I might be HUGE from all the baking and tasting!).

I have a lasagne baking in the oven right now!  :)  The hubs has been out in Joshua Tree hiking and climbing in the cold (this is his idea of weekend relaxation) and I know he will appreciate it when he gets home.

Earlier today I made baked lowfat tortilla chips for one of my boys.  Here they are:


Just cut corn tortillas into quarters and placed on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.  Spray the tops of them as well, add sea salt and broil on low, taking care to check them LIKE A HAWK.  Halfway through (after about 2-3 minutes) I turn them over.  This saves a ton of fat over the storebought variety.  I have a homemade salsa recipe here that is easy and is as good as you would find in any authentic Mexican restaurant!

Happy cooking,
Steph.

2 comments:

  1. Soup looks delicious! How many servings does it make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara! It is really good. I would say 6-8 servings. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...