Saturday, February 12, 2011

New Plantation Shutters

I have always loved the look of plantation shutters, even though I swoon over so many other types of window treatments.  But in sunny SoCal, shutters are a great way to keep the beautiful but glaring sun partially hidden from interiors when necessary.  They are also great for adding re-sale to a house, particularly where we live.

For so long I have been dissatisfied with the window treatments in my living and dining rooms (I have a home with a very open floor plan so that the living and dining rooms are connected and need the same treatment/color scheme, etc).  Think "lovely" 1970s architecture!

Here is the before of the living room:

You can see that the living room window is an L-formation.  I used white wood blinds originally, and then put upholstered cornice boxes above them, leaving the triangular windows alone.

Here is the during (we had replaced our living room windows several years back and it was one of the best decisions we have made for the house):



Here is the after (for now)...my wingback chairs are being reupholstered and I am hopeful to have them back in another week or so...so this area won't look SO empty as it does now...


YAY, much better!  And here is the dining room at the opposite end ( I am sure I will take a bunch of pictures of all the improvements together (windows, area rug, wingback chairs) when it is all put together (I also designed the stained glass window years ago):



Shutters can be pricey, but I took advantage of a sale at the Home Depot and got them for 10% off at least.  The area rug was also on sale, and the fabric for the wingback chairs was a STEAL, so I am going to still label this one Design on a Dime.  :)

7 comments:

  1. Hi!
    You should contact Plug N Save Energy Products about your shutters. They have a retrofitting process where they will install solar panels into the louvers of your shutters. They make solar so easy that you can actually plug the shutter directly into your wall and start feeding your home with power you produced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plantation shutters installation was a piece of cake. The one thing that could have made it perfect is a pre drill of screw holes in the light bars. But I'm splittin' hairs. I'm a pertty happy camper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look pretty....How little changes make such a big difference.... I never thought of.
    window shutters clayton, ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. This look much much beautiful than before. It also provides some securtiy as well.
    Rolling Shutters

    ReplyDelete
  5. Using plantation shutters helped in lessening the bareness in your living area, so it looks okay even without the wingback chair. I would love to see how your place looks now, after all the renovations you have made. =)

    Regards,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are three things to look for in a warranty. The first is the term: the longer the better. Second, see what is covered, as some companies exclude the finish and other components.

    shutters bromley

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love the look of plantation shutters. Check out Shenandoah Shutters.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...