Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Guest Bedroom


  GUEST ROOM ON A DIME

Guest Room Furnished with Sale, Vintage and "Dumpster" Items!



Living with three males, the guest room has really been the only space to which I have been given "carte blanche" in terms of designing.  I like the way this room has turned out, especially since I did it for so little money.  Interestingly, the men of the house actually seem drawn to this room because it has a clean, fresh feel and gets lots of sunlight.  This room also doubles as an office for me. 

Here is my little tour:


The bed was purchased on sale many, many years ago.  I have always loved it.  Everything you see was bought for a seriously tiny amount of money.  The little white end tables were being thrown away by a relative many years ago and are likely from around the 1940-50s.  They were formerly part of a little girl's dressing room set and had been painted a bad shade of chartreuse green.  I loved their cute shape and immediately saved them from the dumpster and painted them a fresh white.  Much better!  :)
 

The bedding is a combo of various things I have picked up on sale over the last few years.  The black damask pillow was from Marshall's and the white one behind it was from IKEA.  The matching black and white lamps are from Target.  Years ago, I purchased the shams and comforter on sale at JCP.  The white duvet cover was a hand-me-down.


The mirror above the bed was actually a damaged clearance item from Home Goods.  And the bird print is actually a sample swatch of fabric I received for free from the Baker design showroom when I was on a field trip there.  :)  I simply stuck it in an old frame.  The sailboat print is actually a photograph done on canvas and was in the gross clearance pile of junk at Marshall's.  My husband loves to sail so of course I scooped it up!  I think it looks great in this room.


One nice architectural feature of the room, besides the chair rail, are two built-in bookcases, each flanking the large window.  This one holds most of my hubby's economic books, as well as a few of my things, including two childhood teddy bears that I cannot seem to part with.  Vintage bears!


This chair is an antique and was $25 at a flea market in Texas when we lived there YEARS ago.  It's been recovered many times and since repainted.  It is next to my little built in desk area where I sometimes sit and work.


Above is a file cabinet that stores many of my psych files.  It was a throw away also found in Texas...old and failing apart, an ugly chipped up maple.  I sanded it down and painted it black and like it much better now!


Above is the only dresser in the room, an old white wicker chest that I used in the nursery for each baby.  It is another of those items that has such sentimental value that I doubt I will ever part with it.  The drawers now store art supplies, printer paper etc. 


This is not a great shot, but you can get an idea of the room's nice window with the bookcases on either side.  The window treatment is a simple white wood blind. 


I have recently added another piece of art to the room, a bargain find from Home Goods:


I love the crisp black and white painted design...and it fits with the femme nature of the space...


I also recently added a black bed skirt and swapped the white duvet for an old, comfy matelasse bedspread, which provides a bit more texture. 

The room is painted in Antique White by Behr, with Pure White trim by Valspar.


Overall, the room is a restful, pretty space.  It feels tranquil and fresh....like a room in a cottage by the sea, even though it is actually found within cookie-cutter suburbia!  :)


I hope you enjoyed this mini room tour!


Blessings, Steph.






23 comments:

  1. Beautiful guest room. Black and white in decorating makes a wonderful statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful guest room...can I be a guest :-) ???

    Stop by for a chance to win some vintage linen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did enjoy this tour. I would love to be a guest in this room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stopping in from Saavy Southern Style to say I love your black and white guest room! Such a classic color combination and one of my all time favorites!
    ~Cindy :o}

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful! I love the colors you chose- it looks so soothing and relaxing. Your guests are very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Steph! I liked your room so much I linked it to my guest rooms post today - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to be a guest in your home. Your room is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Write mоre, thats all I hаνe to saу.
    Literаlly, it seems аѕ though you rеlіеd οn the vіdeо to
    make yоur point. You clearly know what уourе talκіng about, whу waste
    уоur intelligencе on јust poѕtіng
    videos to yоur blοg whеn you сould be gіving us something enlightening tо гead?


    My ωеb site ... http://www.w-gu.com/stories/156872/Company:_Productiveness_Article_Group:_http://Toniesamowite..html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ιf уou dеsire tο improve your eхpеrience simply keep visitіng this web рage and be updated with the most up-to-ԁate news pοsted here.


    Аlso νisіt my ωеb blog :
    : afroglobe.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hardly lеavе remarks, but i did some ѕeаrсhing and wound up
    hеre "My Guest Bedroom". Αnd Ӏ ԁo have a couplе of questions for
    you if іt's allright. Could it be only me or does it look like some of the comments look like they are coming from brain dead people? :-P And, if you are posting at additional places, I'ԁ lіke to follow anything freѕh you have to
    рost. Could you make a list of the complete urls of all
    your shared sites like your Faсеbook
    page, tωittеr feeԁ, oг linkedin profile?


    Heгe iѕ my website; mouse click the up coming article

    ReplyDelete
  12. Outstаnԁing stοгy there.
    What happened after? Τaκe cаге!


    Hеre is mу webpage sunriseview.Co.Uk
    my web page - http://bookmarkingworld.Com/user/profile/Stepaniem/

    ReplyDelete
  13. It iѕ not my first time to go to see this ωeb pаge, i am
    broωsing this web pagе dailly and take gοod іnfοгmаtion
    from here daіly.

    Here is my blog post :: zasilacz do laptopa
    my site :: visit the next website page

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hі thеre every οne, heгe eѵегy perѕon is ѕhаring such know-how, thеrеfoгe іt's fastidious to read this website, and I used to pay a visit this blog every day.

    Take a look at my site depilacja wrocław
    My web page - salon kosmetyczny wrocław

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keep οn wоrking, great job!

    my web blog ... leczenie paradontozy wroc�aw

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I do believe this is a greаt blοg.
    I stumbledupоn it ;) I will сome back yet again sіnce
    і hаve book-marked іt. Moneу and freedоm іs the greateѕt
    way to change, may you be rich and continue to help other people.


    My ωeb blog :: Lapkowo.pl

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm impressed, I must say. Rarely do I come across a blog that's both educatiνe and entertainіng, and let me tell уou, yοu've hit the nail on the head. The issue is something too few folks are speaking intelligently about. Now i'm very happy that I found this
    in my hunt for something relating to thiѕ.

    Also ѵisit my blog ρost; demotywatory
    my web site > kwejk

    ReplyDelete
  18. Doеs your blog hаve a сontаct page?
    I'm having a tough time locating it but, I'd likе tο ѕhoot yоu an email.
    I've got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.

    Review my webpage Facelv.hostoi.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello, this weekend is good designed for me, because this
    time i am reading this enormous informative post here at my residence.


    my web-site ... Kreowaniezieleni.pl
    my site - ogrody wroc�aw

    ReplyDelete
  20. Simрly ԁesire to say your artіclе is аs astounding.
    The cleаrnеss in your рublish is јust great and thаt i can supposе yοu're an expert in this subject. Well along with your permission let me to seize your feed to stay up to date with forthcoming post. Thank you 1,000,000 and please keep up the rewarding work.

    Here is my homepage ... http://drmichaels.com.pl/

    ReplyDelete
  21. With havin so muсh written content dο уou ever run іnto
    any issues of plagorism or coρyright violation? Mу ωеbѕite has a lot of completely unique content I've either written myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my agreement. Do you know any methods to help protect against content from being stolen? I'd genuinely аpprеciаte
    іt.

    my ѕite - mieszkania brzeg dolny

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi thеre, fоr all time i used to check blog postѕ heгe early in thе ԁаylight,
    foг the гeason that i enjoy to find out moге and morе.


    Reνieω my wеblog: 2013 at 7:55 am

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the blog post buddy! Keep them coming...
    Prom Dresses

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...