Thursday, May 5, 2011

BASIL





I was going to repot my basil that was sitting in the kitchen window (above with it's friends parsley and cilantro), but then I decided I should first make pesto. 

There is something so wonderful about growing your own herbs.  I often wish I had a larger yard with a very sunny spot so that I could grow farmer's market quality veggies.  I would opt for growing produce in containers, too, but our backyard is very shady and when I have tried they have not done great (I also have this crazy idea about raising chickens for an endless supply of egg whites, but that is another post).  I will be repotting the herbs above, however, and keeping them there so we'll see how they do!

Where was I?  PESTO.  Here is the recipe:

PESTO (recipe courtesy of pickyourown.org):  makes about a cup

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups fresh packed basil leaves
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1/4 cup pine nuts (if you don't have pine nuts, you can use walnuts or hazelnuts)

3 garlic cloves, finely minced (or 1 tablespoon of prepared minced garlic)

1 tablespoon of lemon juice 

1/4 cup Olive oil (EVOO)

DIRECTIONS:
1. pick basil leaves off of stems and wash
2. chop pine nuts, EVOO and garlic in food processor
3. add basil and chop
4. blend in the parmesan cheese!

Pesto will last about a week in the refrigerator or 3-6 months in the freezer.

Here is the dinner I made (SO easy):



YUM.

If you grow your own produce, I would love to hear more!

Blessings, Steph.

linking: http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/ , http://fadedcharmcottage.blogspot.com/ , http://romantichome.blogspot.com/  and http://southernhospitalityblog.com/

2 comments:

  1. Hello, just found you at Savvy Southern Style and popped right over when I saw the basil plant. I just finished making my first batch of Basil Pesto and it turned out so delicious. After tasting it I thought what I have been missing all these years buying store bought! I am a new follower and invite you to visit my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steph! Love your blog. And I love having fresh herbs in the garden. In the ground we have rosemary, sage, oregano & mint. The sage I've actually had since I lived in SB! In pots we have cilantro, basil, thyme & lemon thyme. Jim has also started arugula, chives & Italian Parsley, from seed. Arugula grows like a weed, it probably is one:-) Like you, we have tried to grow veggies, but too much shade. The herbs do OK, though. Fresh herbs make your food so much better. Jim & I rarely ever use dried herbs. Have a great Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...