Tuesday, May 10, 2011

British Trifle...yum

Here is a British Trifle that I made this past Mother's Day:


My friend Leslie, who is the cutest thing with her British accent, gave a Trifle making lesson to myself and a few other friends on the eve of the Royal Wedding.  We had so much fun watching the wedding, talking and especially *listening* to Leslie!  :) 

Anyone British with THAT accent may please come to my house anytime to talk about anything.  :)

Here are the lovely ingredients (this is SO easy to make and very forgiving if you make any kind of error!):

ENGLISH TRIFLE
One pound cake
Strawberry Jam (I used raspberry)
15 oz can of fruit cocktail in heavy syrup (I used peaches in light syrup)
Fresh Strawberries
Custard (I used instant vanilla pudding-large box)
Heavy Whipping Cream, 1 pint
Cream Sherry (I used cognac.  You can omit this or use orange liqueur as well)

Slice pound cake and spread each piece with jam.  Place in bottom of a glass bowl.  Drain canned fruit, reserving the juice.  Wash and slice the fresh fruit.  Arrange on top of cake.
Mix about 1/2C sherry with fruit juice.  Pour over cake in bowl and let soak (mine sat overnight).  Mix up custard or pudding and pour over fruit.  Whip the cream and spread over the custard when cool.  Decorate with sprinkles, nuts or fruit on top (I left mine plain.  Chill 2 hours or more....then dig in.  :)

I did not have the proper serving bowl, so I used a glass ice bucket!


I will make the comment that the alcohol was a bit much.  I should have used about half.  But it really did taste fantastic and it looked pretty, too.

Mother's Day flowers in red also looked lovely:



Hope everyone is having a wonderful week!
Steph.


Linking here and here and here for fun.

3 comments:

  1. I am always looking for a trifle recipe since I have one and this is great, I am writting this one down! Cheerie O! Thanks, coming from Kims

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby's grannie used to make thee best triffle! Well, okay her's was the first one I'd ever tried in my life....and I liked it very much!
    Nice to meet and follow you...come by for a visit if you've the time!

    CIAO BELLA!


    CREATIVE CARMELINA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had fun!..Yummy desert!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...