Thursday, June 30, 2011

Garage Door Love

One of the absolute best decisions I have made for our home improvement, has been this beautiful garage door.  I am in love with it!  Let me explain:

1970s architecture=weird plus utterly lacking in charm.  For a lover of all things stark and modern, this could have been a winner.  However, this is not me (think Cottage Living Magazine lover).  In fact, the last two homes we lived in were dripping in charm.  When we moved to SoCal I was 6 months pregnant and we had 4 days with which to find a shelter.  There was not ONE home I fell in love with that we looked at, but I was desperate to get settled.  I NEVER dreamed we would live here as long as we have...nearly 16 years now!  Previously, we had moved every few years with hubby's job and I very much figured this home would serve us for about 4 years, not 16!

As it turns out, we have wonderful neighbors.  The school district is one of the absolute best in the state (it is also brutal with respect to expectations, homework, achievement, and test scores!).  The house is 20-30 minutes from glorious beaches and any shopping imaginable and sits in between two major cities.  Ahhh suburbia.  I can walk to the grocery store and to the bagel shop or for coffee.

We talk about moving all the time.  But for now, we are here.

Most homes in SoCal feature a garage smack dab in the front of the property, FRONT AND CENTER!  This was hard for me to get used to at first.  The lots are small and unless you are able to purchase a rare vintage home, there are no detached garages to be found. 

I am glad I splurged on this garage door.  It is made of wood with real glass inserts and heavy bronze hardware.  It's probably number 2 on my list of the best improvements to our home (number 1 being the installation of hardwood floors).  Generally I am very frugal with home improvement and I shopped around until I got the absolute best price.  But I am so happy with the door that I would have paid more!

I keep working at finding a balance between the lack of charm on the interior and it's modern architecture, but slowly I am getting there.  I remind myself that I am a working mom without one of those carpenter husbands that keep popping up in blogland!  ;)

If you have made it this far, thanks for reading!  I wonder if anyone else thinks about their home this much (actually I know the answer!)  :)

Have a great day!




18 comments:

  1. Steph, I LOVE your garage doors! They are stunning. We, too, have garage doors on the front of our house. They are 2 separate doors and they're plain white. Most of what we've done lately has been on the back of the house - new patios & landscaping. Maybe I'll attack those garage doors some day!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww thank you FuzziDi! I miss our discussions. Blessings to you, Steph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article reminds me the days I used to study the installation process of different particles. Insulation process gives one type of attachment to the doors and many other advantages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garage door openers come with their own accessories. Primarily, these are their opening devices, both wall mounted and remotes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the informative posting. I don't think people realize or think about the dangerous potential of garage doors that are left unchecked and unmaintained. It should also be stressed that garage doors should be checked by certified professionals every few years or so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This seems to be a great site which offers Toronto Garage Doors, Scarborough Garage Doors, North York Garage Doors, Richmond Hill Garage Doors, Newmarket Garage Doors, Aurora Garage Doors, Vaughan Garage Doors, Markham Garage Doors and Etobicoke Garage Doors...i had been relying on Pro-master.ca earlier and they offered good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should apply all modern if your house is decorated with modern interior and exterior design. That should be applied in your garage, the place where you store your properties such as a car and other valuable tool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Garage door opener is responsible for opening and closing your garage door. But these days there are so many options available in garage door openers.
    ashburn garage door

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have a great idea for designing a right garage doors... this information is very helpful...


    garage door spring repair Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post with nice pictures of garage doors and also informative,Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for giving such a nice post on Replacement Garage Doors. In this post, you gave very valuable information for Garage Door.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Door! If you have got any problem in your Overhead Door Austin, finding repair services for the same has become quite easy now. There are many reputed Garage Austin repair services in Austin that are present online and which provide quick and excellent repair services to the customers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a great idea with your garage doors.Very expensive and nice..
    Keep up the good work for your garage..
    Thank you!


    ashburn garage door

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am very happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation that's at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best doc.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a beautiful garage door. It's amazing the how big of a difference a quality door can make. You choose a beautiful door and it compliments your home wonderfully.

    We do garage door repair milwaukee area and love to see quality work across the country!

    Great post also, we liked reading what you had to say!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great web site you've got here.. It's hard to find quality
    writing like yours these days. I honestly appreciate people like you!
    Take care!!

    My weblog: click here

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think this is among the most vital info for me.

    And i'm glad reading your article. But wanna remark on few general things, The website style is great, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

    my web page: website information

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...