Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Zucchini Quiche

I have been meaning to post this recipe for Zucchini Quiche for a while.  I have used many of these amazing organic squashes from my CSA box that I receive each week.

I received this recipe as a very young newlywed in the late 1980s and have saved it all this time.  It is a great recipe!

 Here are the ingredients:
4C thiny cliced unpeeled zucchini
1 onion, chopped
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 C chopped parsley or 2T parsley flakes
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. basil (I have substituted fresh)
1/4 t. oregano
1/2 t. black pepper
2 beaten eggs (I have used egg beaters before)
2C shredded mozzarella
2 9 inch unbaked pie shells
2 t. Dijon mustard
First, cook the zucchini and onion in the butter until tender...




While those are cooking away, spread each pie shell with 1t. of dijon mustard each (hint: it is easiest to just use your fingers for this!)...



Stir in the parsley and seasonings....


Blend the cheese and egs in a bowl...


Pour into pie shells...



Bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes.  Let stand 10 minutes.



VOILA!

The last time I made this, I used a huge Maui sweet onion from the CSA box along with several zucchini.  I have also reduced the fat a little by using egg whites or egg beaters and reducing the amount of butter and cheese, although it really does taste best in it's full fat version (naturally).

Let me know if you decide to make this amazing dish!



2 comments:

  1. Yum! Have you tried it with yellow summer squash as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph,
    This looks absolutely yummy and I like how you try to reduce the fats. I am definitely going to try it when my next door neighbor overwhelms me with her extra zucchini. Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...