Saturday, July 16, 2011

I have Topiary Issues



...or so I have been told....



No, I am NOT talking about those rather funny sculptures even remotely resembling an animal...or bird, dolphin, dino, etc.... :)  No, it is the spheres that I love.

Honestly, I fell in love with topiaries as soon as I discovered them.  In fact, I have issues (as my sister reminds me) because I really, really love them.  I only know of two women who honestly hate them (I am sure there are more!), but my love hasn't faded in about 20 years here....

Here are a few currently around the house and in the yard...I seriously have to be careful because I border on tacky overkill here (oh the shame)....fortunately, I have learned which planters are good to them-those that tend to raise them up to a more stately position (or so I humbly hope!).

I used to have a little book all about topiaries and their history.  They have been around FOREVER, actually.  I recall reading in my little book some interesting facts about how the lower classes in England began growing topiaries as inexpensive ornamentation for their tiny gardens prior to their introduction to the more wealthy (who then began trimming their estate garden hedges a la Edward Scissorhands).  Whatever the truth, I am happy to believe that topiaries had humble, simple origins.  Those I can relate to. 

So here we go!

In the kitchen...




On the dining room table.....  This is a topiary that I have had for a while.  After the holidays, it was not doing well.  When this happens, I typically clean them with a mild soap, give them a haircut, and often will sit them in the backyard for a while.  This helps a lot and then I can bring them back in when they are ready.  :)


Living room....




Entry....I typically do not go for hearts, but this one was a bargain and I so love this versatile planter/urn that I purchased years ago...


Living room....this one is actually silk faux (normally I have nothing faux in my home that could potentially be a live plant) but it looks amazing (this was purchased at the Shinoda Design Center)...


Ok, this is very revealing.  I have a small table in the entry area with handpainted topiary art on it.  For the past couple of years, I have considered repainting this little table but the surrounding finish is very antique looking so I am not sure what to do.  If anyone has a suggestion, I would LOVE to hear it.  For now it sits and announces my fetish  issue love.


This beautiful plant below was a gift for Mother's Day years ago.  It is happy where it sits and requires minimal care.  LOVE...


The one below is actually a cool shape but it is in need of a haircut!  :)


Oh, I also have urn issues.  But that's another post. 


On a related note, my front yard re-do is nearly completed.  I will post pictures soon!



7 comments:

  1. Great post! Loved your urns. You got a beautiful space here. Thanks for sharing:)
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love topiaries too! I could seriously go overboard with them as weel so I totally relate. :-) Yours are just lovely as is everything else about your home and blog!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! I meant to say "well" not "weel"! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We must be kindred spirits. I am drawn to topiaries too. I have several topiary tutorials on my blog! Making them is creative and fun.
    You have a superb collection.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the same way!! What is it with these things. They are everywhere in my home. All sizes and shapes. Glad to see there is someone else like me, I was thinking I was the only one!!! Beautiful home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all and welcome! I realized that I have FOUR more topiaries (2 outside, and 2 inside) that I did not photograph. It's almost embarrassing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love topiaries, also!!! I once counted and at that time I had 21....mine do so much better outside. I'm amazed at all that you have inside. I have a problem with spider mites, so coming inside is a big deal and means careful monitoring at my house.
    I did a post (Frog Rehab) on re-doing one of my topiaries last spring.
    Thanks for sharing your (our) love.
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...