I like to spend some time each New Year's Day reflecting upon new beginnings. I have a long history of being a goal-setting overachiever and, while it has brought some satisfaction with the various accomplishments it has led to, it is not a peaceful existence. Perhaps it is the wisdom of age speaking here, but the older I get, the more I crave simplicity and peace. I have always been a go, go go kind of person, often dropping with exhaustion. Now I want to do less, to be simpler, more at peace.
Each year I have dutifully set resolutions and goals, and, like most people, failed to live up to them. I don't think I am capable of NOT setting goals at this point (YET anyway), but I'd like to list some steps I would hope to work toward this new year. Coming from someone who has not only written goals, but objectives (!) for personal development, this is a huge departure and one that is most welcomed (by me).
Here we go:
1. Be Thankful. Be Grateful. This means thanking my Creator and it means thanking people more and more. Being grateful for all I've got.
2. Be more Present for my Family. This means less busy-ness. This means helping my two children to overcome the unique challenges that they currently face. I have recently made a decision to give up a huge commitment so that I can dedicate more to them.
3. Live Simply. This means living closer to the Earth, more sustainably. Cooking and eating simply. Not over- scheduling myself. Taking more time to reflect upon what is really important. Not trying to keep up with anyone in any way.
4. Be Healthy. This means improving my fitness slowly as my injury heals. Losing another 6-10 pounds and then MAINTAINING that (no more yo-yo-ing for me!). Eat whole foods. Get sugar out of our lives.
5. Love More. Want Less. Enough said there. :)
And that's it! Simple, Balanced, Beautiful.