Thursday, January 26, 2012

Organization and Zero Waste

 (no, that's not my pantry!)

Hi Friends!  The picture above is from Bea Johnson's Zero-Waste kitchen (please, please visit her amazing blog here, in which she documents her family's journey to a zero-waste lifestyle).  I have been reading Bea's blog for about a year now, and have been heavily influenced by it. 

Last month after a series of doctor visits and tests we learned that one of our children has some issues that require a diet adjustment.  I changed some of my commitments to make more room for helping my son. He has done a fabulous job so far. On my end, I have been studying more about nutrition, testing new recipes, and getting anything potentially harmful to him out of the kitchen. It is all still a work in progress. For some time now, I have been working to simplify, declutter, and to live more sustainably, and my child's unique issues have given me the push needed to take things a step further.

First up, removing nearly all processed foods, replacing the "whites" with the "browns" and "wheats," and focusing on a whole-foods diet.  I began shopping in bulk with reusable bags, cooking daily, and serving more fruits and vegetables (please read my post about Community Supported Agriculture here). 

I have a ways to go, but here is the pantry right now:




I have replaced some of my baking supplies, but remain on two baking committees for my kid's schools, so I will have a few unhealthy ingredients around for a while longer...fortunately I can buy them in bulk now...


Same with the grain section...I still have some white pasta for my other son, but he is adapting to the whole wheat variety very well too.  And the whole family loves quinoa.  :)


As far as snacks and cereal, we are making progress.  Pretzels, nuts, and air-popped popcorn are pretty much eaten daily around here by one or both boys.


As an aside, since we have been working to reduce our level of trash we have done a great job as a family.  We compost what we can, reduce what we buy with packaging of any kind, and recycle what we must.  I am working to further reduce the recycling, but the trash for a family of four is down to about one small grocery-sized bag each week tops.  That is a big improvement for us!

Thanks for reading and please visit The Zero Waste Home for further inspiration.

linking:





6 comments:

  1. Just perfect, it looks awesome. I love the look of glass jars!
    A few blog friends and I are hosting our first link party tomorrow to finish off the Imagine the Impossibilities Challenge, we go live at 7amET. Today I revealed my project for the challenge, a gallery wall with only one screw in the wall. It would be great if you have a chance to check it out and link up! http://thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/the-one-screw-gallery-wall-is-here/
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog = your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up @CountryMommaCooks... I love your ideas....have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping over from Debbie's newbie party. I'd say your pantry is every bit as nice as the other one. Better actually, you got more stuff to cook with!

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have done a great job. I wish I was that motivated to reduce my carbon foot print and eat better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! We are on a similar track with foods. Just recently, I have started introducing wheat grass into my diet - great stuff! Also, look up einkorn - a very healthy ancient grain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again! I came over from TTT to see your bathroom, and kept getting drawn to other posts! You have a lovely home, all your updates are just perfect. I am a new follower and looking forward to visiting often.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...