Saturday, February 11, 2012

Comfort Food

Hello!  Today is a rainy, gloomy day-we don't get a lot of those in SoCal, so when we do I really enjoy them.  I thought I would post an AMAZING comfort food recipe today since it is a comfort-food kind of day.  :)

Last week there were potatoes in our Community Supported Agriculture box.  I was kind of excited about this, actually, since it was a nice surprise.  Sometimes potatoes get a bad rap, but my feeling is that if they are grown in healthy soil and eaten in moderation (and with gratitude, I might add), then they are good. 

This is a potato casserole kind of dish.  It really doesn't have any kind of fancy name.  As an aside, this is a fantastic way to use up leftover mashed potatoes after Thanksgiving.

Here is how it looks prior to going into the oven...


First, prepare potatoes as if you are making mashed potatoes (I make mashed potatoes without butter or full-fat milk).  While the potatoes are boiling, cook up some bacon.  I use uncured, naturally grown low-fat turkey bacon, about 4-5 slices.

When done cooking, mix about 3 cups of mashed potatoes with 1 egg, 1/2C of sour cream (I used nonfat plain greek yogurt instead for this batch), and a finely chopped green onions.  Season with salt and pepper if needed.

Assemble into casserole dish and put turkey bacon on top along with about a 1/2C of shredded cheese (whatever you have on hand; I used cheddar).


Bake this at 350 for about 30 minutes.

Here it is after baking:


This is a very tasty comfort-food type of dish that is simply and healthy.  Let me know if you try it!

linking:


4 comments:

  1. This is very similar to a recipe for "Marvelous Mashed Potatoes" that used to appear on the side of the Betty Crocker Potato Buds box. The main difference is there's no egg in the Marvelous Mashed Potatoes recipe. I make this every year for Thanksgiving and it's always a hit! Because I'm a vegetarian, I used to make two casseroles: one with bacon and a smaller one made with Bacos. The carnivores in the family have decided that the Bacos version is just as good as the real bacon version, so the last couple of years, I've just made the Bacos version. I agree with the title of your blog... this is definitely "comfort food" for me!

    Love the picture of the beach and the flowers! Especially, since it's about 19 degrees here in Wisconsin with snow in the forecast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummmy. I'm so happy that you decided to join Seasonal Sundays. Hope you'll be here next week too!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! Can't wait to try it. I am pinning this! I am a new follower visiting from the Tablescaper. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG - this recipe sounds devine! Thanks for linking up at Sunday Blog Love, this is one of my top five picks. I hope you can come back again this weekend and share more with us.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...