Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Winter Yard

The other day I snapped some shots of the "winter" yard (yes, I realize that's a very blue sky!).  This past summer we completely redid our front yard , creating a low water and low(er) maintenance but pretty space.  Here is how it looks right now...I am loving how finally everything is filling in even in the "dead" of winter:


We have added some bark mulch because we have some raven friends who like digging up the dirt.  The bark deters them just a little.  :)


This is early morning...so there are a few large shadows.  My urn is not nearly as pretty as it was this summer, when everything in it was in full bloom....but there are buds once again and the foliage is really healthy so I am happy.


Our little olive tree is hanging in there.  We were not sure about this little guy....it was not happy once transplanted and appeared to go into shock for a while, but it seems happier lately even though it's still small.


I think the lavender will be a bit overwhelming this summer, but that's just a theory.  ;)  The pile below was cut back and is already fluffy and beginning to flower!


Here is a partially dried hydrangea bulb.  I think hydrangeas are beautiful fresh or dried, whether green, blue, white or pink...


Camellias bloom early in SoCal.  I have two bushes producing coral and pink flowers.  :)



When we decided to redesign the front yard I was excited, but a bit apprehensive since we removed all of our traditional grass.  I did not want the yard to look too busy, and I still worry a little about that but overall it really is becoming a great space!

Thanks for visiting.  :D

linking:

10 comments:

  1. how gorgeous! totally jealous of how gardeny your winter garden looks. in PA, not so much. what a beautiful photo in your header, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have lived on the east coast, too, and know what you mean!

      Delete
  2. winter? here in Washington State my winter garden consisits of sticks and stones! ha yours is beautiful! I host a garden party that will start back up in May ~ hope to see you link up????? xoox, tracie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thanks ! Hang in there...if I lived where you do my coffee consumption would go through the roof. :D

      Delete
  3. I saw you linked up on Tatertots & Jello so I hopped over here to look at your silver heart decoration (it's super cute and you can't beat free!) but I'm loving your blog because you describe MY house... 1970's, cookie cutter, lacking charm, etc. But what you have done with your home is amazing! I love looking at all of your home posts (your backyard is adorable, and your front yard too!) I'm also in So Cal (San Diego), but we are a bit inland so we have a big-ish backyard. Our little boys love it, but it's a TON of work! I'm your newest follower- I'd love for you to stop by my blog and follow me back if you'd like.
    Have a great weekend!
    xo,
    Laurie @ Gallamore West :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much....I would love your yard! I checked your blog and will be back. :)

      Delete
  4. I love what you did with your yard, I've been wanting to do the same to my yard but wasn't sure exactly what plants to use. Yours looks great!

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty this looks. You've done a splendid job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your yard is amazing..gotta love that Southern California weather...Just became a follower...my friend just relocated from the Carlsbad area..she had a beautiful home on the water...got an offer on her property she could not refuse...I so love you area!..Beautiful...Look forward to seeing your posts!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...