Saturday, February 4, 2012

Working up Ideas for a Fireplace Redesign

Hello! What a whirlwind this past week was at work. I tried to stay mindful of my priorities, but I failed pretty miserably. However, even with great lingering fatigue, today was a NEW day.  It did take effort today I will admit....but I did end up spending some alone time with each son, plowed through at least some of the weekend to-do list, got a haircut and attempted this Giada recipe (minus the bread) for dinner. The best thing about the dinner was using organic chicken sausage-it pretty much saved this cooking caper for me.

Ok, so onto the point of this post.....:)
I have been working on a plan to redesign our fireplace, which does not really go with the decor of our family room nor the era I find myself in. 

Below are two beautiful inspiration shots (both via bhg).

The room below is more modern than mine, but the wall color is roughly the same as is the original brick.  Is that mirror to die for or what?


The fireplace below is just breathtaking for me as well....my family room is not nearly this glam and lacks all the architectural detailing of this space, but I do think this might make for a fireplace-o-fancy for us...


LOVE!

So after looking at these two BEAUTIFUL inspiration photos, I present you with our "lovely"....
(no, the Christmas decor is no longer UP!)

Perhaps just an ugly duckling, that's all....


I spent some time drafting a design (no, I do not know what I am doing, but I did learn some very basic drafting skills a couple of years ago)....


So...the mission now is to see if I can move forward from here.  Really, I need someone with a good vision for how it will look in the end as well as master carpenter skills and all those amazing tools.  :)

I would like it to somewhat blend with our built-in bookcase below....


and all for the right budget-friendly price, naturally.  :D

Here is a shot of the family room to give an idea of the general style and colors:



If anyone has any great suggestions (like how I could get Layla out here to do it for me, for example) or a different design idea, I would love to hear (really I would!).

Here is to a good week!

linking:





7 comments:

  1. I love to watch This Old House. I remember in one of their episodes, they went and got a new facing/mantel for the fireplace that was actually a very old one that had been reclaimed from a house that someone renovated or tore down. I don't know if that would be an option everywhere, but the idea of reusing a surround for the fireplace sounds cool to me.

    Another thing that I saw on Pinterest was staining of bricks. I didn't pin it because we don't have any brick, but it could change the look while you work on the wood part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can envision your design in your space...I think the white and black color scheme will be stunning! Following your blog now. Can't wait to see the progress.

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I may change mind now ! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great design. I have no doubt with your talents it will be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just posted a three part series on our fireplace odyssey, from design to decorating, I think it might give you some ideas, especially since I wound up with something close to your inspiration pics.
    http://www.stayathomeista.com/2012/02/tale-of-two-fireplaces-part-three.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. The second picture is stunning. I am sure you can create the same look, it will be fabulous. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! We’re Emergency Essentials. We took a look at your site and thought you might be interested in becoming one of our affiliate advertisers. Becoming an affiliate is easy, and it’s a great way to bring in a little extra income at no expense to you. Click the link for more information.

    http://beprepared.com/article.asp?ai=1057

    Thank you, and have a good day.

    Affiliate Relations
    Emergency Essentials®, Inc.
    BePrepared.com
    preparednesspantry.blogspot.com
    Find us on Facebook and Twitter!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...