Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Kale and Potato Casserole

My weekly CSA box often includes an amazing bunch of kale.  I have used it for Kale Saladveggie soup, smoothies, and kale chips, but I wanted to further branch out. 

This recipe is slightly adapted from one I found here.


First, slice up about 6 red potatoes.  Boil them for a few minutes and drain.  The recipe above asks to then plunge them into an ice bath and drain again.  I did do this one time, but rinsing them in cold water seems to work as well.

While the taters are boiling, cut up a large bunch of kale, discarding the thick spines (put them in compost pile!).


Yum (I love kale).  Next up mix about 1/4C of EVOO, some crushed garlic and a little sea salt and pepper and rub into the kale leaves.

Alternate layers of potatoes and kale in casserole.  Between layers sprinkle a small amount of bread crumbs (like 1/2C total or less) and sprinkle about 1/3C Parmesan cheese or some nutritional yeast on top for a vegan option.

Here is what it looks like before placing into a 350 degree oven:


Cover with foil for 30 minutes.  Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes.

VOILA!


Very healthy and nutritious and my kids like it a lot!

linking:


3 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed said meal photographed and explained in this fantastic article. No only healthy, but despicably tasty. I will look forward to your future educated and exciting posts, floating around in the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up this post! I am very new to kale (have my second bunch sitting in my fridge) and have been trying to find recipe ideas for it beyond kale chips. This one looks like a great one! Can't wait to try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...