Sunday, March 4, 2012

Show and Tell: Bento Boxes

Well, the secret is out....I have a thing for Bento boxes.  :)  Perhaps it is one of those "girly" things....you know, kind of like my love for beautiful interior design and costume jewelry.  I do live with three males, after all, thus making these little girly needs all the more desperate. 

Here is my little collection (a kind of "Show and Tell," as it were) :


I started with the dark brown cherry blossom box (a symbol of beauty and life), then later received the red beckoning cat (a symbol of luck) as a gift.  The green flat box was an impulse purchase one day while shopping at a Japanese market in SoCal.  I don't love that one, but my husband often uses it for (part of ) his lunch at work since it is rather plain (read: not femme) and simply holds his food well.  :)

My husband and I almost always bring our lunches to work.  I have found that I eat far better this way and it saves a boatload of money since eating even a meager lunch out has become quite expensive.   It is also a great way to use up leftovers.  My goal is to let nothing go to waste (whenever possible).


Both of my tiered bento boxes have compartments inside.  :)  There is one large compartment on the bottom that I usually use for salad.


The top compartment has a Tupperware-like lid, so this compartment is often reserved for cottage cheese, fruit, or anything that may leak.


If needed, the bottom compartment can be further separated with the insert shown above (it is actually two inserts, one inside a larger one), but I tend to not use these since I fill the entire bottom with salad. 

Bento boxes are not large at all.  Generally speaking, they are made for children's lunches and often sport Pokemon designs or Hello Kitty.  LOL!  I like this, though, as it is very hard to shove more than about 400 calories into one bento box unless you are using a lot of rice or otherwise super dense foods.

I usually wash the boxes by hand, but they are microwave and dishwasher safe.  With the exception of the insert's lid, they are constructed of very hard, stiff, food-safe plastic.


I bought the cookbook pictured above second-hand just for a fun read.  Bento cooking is something of an art form in Japan.  I have these visions of Japanese mothers trying desperately to entice their children to eat veggies by carving them into cute bunnies....some of the creations would nearly rival the "Ace of Cakes" sculptures...

Check these out!







Aren't they funny?  Considering the small size of most bento boxes, some of these details are TINY!!!

I am passing the book onto my niece soon...I purchased a bento box for her as part of her Christmas gift.  Nice having two nieces to buy girly things for! 

Well that about sums up my little Show and Tell.  Thanks for stopping by.  I am hopeful to have my boys bathroom makeover up this week!


4 comments:

  1. One of them has Totoro on it!

    http://tiny.cc/rsk9n

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha!!!! You would know. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CUTE! Thanks Steph for always joining me. You will be able to come back for the newbie reunion on March 29th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...