Saturday, April 21, 2012

Earth Day 2012: How am I doing?

Happy Earth Day!

Embarrassingly far from perfect, I have worked to be greener this past year.  Here are a few highlights:


1.  Worked on beach cleanups...



2.  Installed a low water landscape, removing all grass in both the front and back yards...



2.  Switched to cloth napkins for meals, and microfiber cloths for cleaning as much as possible:


 3.  Switched our produce to Community Supported Agriculture (June of last year)...



4.  Ordered a Prius to replace my SUV...



5.  Worked to reduce and reuse as much as possible, to buy less and aim for zero waste...


6.  Okay, this one might seem strange, but we have just begun worm composting.  I will likely do an entire blog post on this one at some point, but we have only been doing this for about 2 months.  Since our worms cannot handle all of our green kitchen scraps, the remainder go into our green waste management bin.  The worms are producing fabulous soil for us to use in the garden-this really feels like it comes full circle compared to other green efforts.



7.  We are enjoying nature more and using it for fitness, avoiding driving to the gym and a pricey gym membership...


8.  Decorating with what I have got (there is plenty!) and remaking things or sprucing up old decor so that I can reuse them...



9.  Shopping for more bulk items-not only employing reusable shopping bags, but reusable grain, nut, and produce bags...


10.  And last but most importantly, getting my family on board with all of this.  This has actually been an easy task as the husband has always been of a green mindset (even on simple beach walks he is picking up endless water bottle tops as well as other trash in the sand), and both boys are teenagers who completely "get it."  Both kids are amazing in their understanding and desire to be greener, and have supported all of my ideas, some of which seemed crazy at first (see number 6 above!).



Grateful!

Happy Earth Day!  Open your eyes!!!!!


linking:

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Steph! You have done a lot in 1 year! My hat is off to you! I like the idea of worm composting and have considered it. Good for you! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! I look around and see so much more I could be doing. Hopefully with consistency we will get there!

      Delete
  2. Good for you...you have certainly accomplished a lot there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...