Monday, April 9, 2012

Propagating Geraniums...Free Flowers :)


Hello!  I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter weekend.  Our weather was fantastic, and I found myself starting a "spring cleanup" of our little backyard.  I've a ways to go, but it felt so good to start getting it in order.

I wanted to share that I began taking cuttings of existing geraniums to see if they would take root.  Kind of an experiment if you will.

I took three cuttings and placed them in a mason jar in the kitchen window for several weeks.  Once the weather warmed up a bit, I placed the jar outside, adding to the water level as needed.

It took several weeks, but roots finally began to sprout!

Below are the newly transplanted cuttings.  One of them is actually blooming. 



Once they take off, I will transplant them into larger pots with alyssum or other small flowers.


Our patio was a mess and I still need to do so much, but at least it felt clean enough yesterday to eat dinner outside.  I also planted some impatiens.


This kalanchoe above was planted LAST summer and here is how it looks after being in the yard all winter...a little wild but I like it.  :)


Yesterday for Easter, my husband gathered up these lilies from the yard for me.  I stood them in a tall upright jar (actually my sprouting jar) and tied a simple ribbon. 

It's the little things that make me happy.  :)

linking:









5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip about geraniums~ I didn't know that you could do that. I love your calla lilies. When we lived in SoCal we grew them and always had cut calla lilies in the house. Now living in NC, I still have them, but they don't produce as many flowers.Stopping by from Metamorphosis Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip about the geraniums! I cut some of my coleus last fall and placed in a mason jar with water, kept it inside all winter, adding more water as needed. Roots aplenty. I just potted it up last weekend. By mother's day it should be strong enough to put outside! Free plants are the best aren't they? :) I love your lilies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your backyard looks very inviting. Good to know about the geraniums. The little things make me so happy too...a bloom on my day lilies, the fresh green of the leaves and grass and dining al fresco. I'm trying to decide what type of furniture to put in my tiny backyard to make dining outside happen.
    sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geraniums are so hardy aren't they, I cut mine up into smaller plants and have moved them around in the garden and they are still growing. Definately a good plant to have :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...