Monday, May 28, 2012

Two Great Cabbage Salad Recipes


Hello!  We have had an abundance of amazing tasting cabbage in our CSA boxes this spring.  While I am not a huge fan of cabbage, I really liked these dishes. 

I recently watched the documentary film DIVE!  The film, though low budget, was well done and addresses both food waste and hunger very thoughtfully.  If you have a chance to see it, I would highly recommend it.  Anyway, cabbage is one of those things that I can let sit in the fridge and forget about because it keeps well.  However, I needed to make room for more fresh produce and, especially after viewing DIVE! I certainly did not want to waste ANY of this cabbage!  If you have seen the film, you will know what I mean.

SOOOO...I thought I would share two recipes that I have made to use up our cabbage.  Forgive me for using the same bowl (!) for my photography, but it is my biggest mixing/salad bowl and when you start shredding a full head of cabbage it seems to multiply.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First up:  SIMPLE CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD
(caveat:  this recipe is NOT a gourmet salad!  It is a simple, frugal meal that tastes good.)


What I did:
shredded a small full head of cabbage
added two full cooked chicken breasts, diced up
added 1 package of crushed ramen noodles (dry)
threw in some sesame seeds
chopped up a bunch of green onion and threw that in
For the dressing, you can add some bottled Asian style salad dressing, or mix up your own.  I used 2 ramen seasoning packets mixed with a little bit of hot water, canola oil, white vinegar, a bit of splenda blend and pepper.  I just kept tasting it until it tasted right and I had enough to toss into the salad.  Then mix and let it chill for several hours before serving.
Super simple and inexpensive.


Second is this recipe for CABBAGE SLAW:


For the recipe please go here.  YUM.  I omitted the celery seed and onion powder and reduced the amount of honey and the dressing tasted great.  It's basically a dressing of EVOO, Apple Cider Vinegar and honey.  I also added fresh cilantro to the salad.

I hope you try either of these!  Of the two, I think I prefer the red cabbage slaw, but I am not much of a meat eater anymore so that might be why.

Cabbage is healthy- full of vitamins, has anti-inflammatory properties, and is a known cancer preventative  when eaten regularly.  It is also generally very inexpensive and keeps well.  A winner all around!  :)

Enjoy.

linking:

7 comments:

  1. that second one looks amazing!!
    i want to try it...
    oh wait...i don't cook....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no cooking required for that second one! It is all raw cabbage and cilantro plus dressing. :D

      Delete
  2. The first salad has been around forever, I love it but I would love to find a homemade recipe for the first one that doesn't use the ramen noodle packets as they are pure MSG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to say homemade recipe for the dressing that doesn't use the packets.. any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with not using the ramen noodle packets. The best dressing ever for Chinese Chicken Salad is this one; 1 whole juiced Lime, 8 Tblsp. Olive Oil (I've substituted 1/2 Peanut Oil), 8 Tblsp. Soy Sauce, 2 Tblsp. Sesame Oil, 1/3 cup Brown Sugar, 3 Tblsp. Fresh Ginger, 2 cloves Garlic, Chopped, 2 whole Jalapenos, Chopped & Cilantro to taste. It is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for adding this helpful post! I will definitely try this dressing (I will probably skip the sugar, though, or use stevia or honey).

      Delete
  5. Homemade cabbage salads are very wonderful recipes and looking very yummy. Especially Cabbage Slaw is one of the different salad and good taste.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...