Saturday, July 7, 2012

Orange Juice Muffins


Hi Friends!  If you have visited my blog before, you may know that I strive to be pretty green/eco friendly.

Part of this effort includes refusing to let anything go to waste unless it is absolutely necessary.  :) 

Earlier this year, I had so many oranges (even after giving many away...in part thanks to the orange tree in our tiny back yard) that I came up with a recipe for a very yummy Orange Juice Cake.

For that recipe please click here:  Orange Juice Cake

Anyway, for this go-around of "one too many oranges" I decided to make some rustic muffins.  These muffins are dense, filling, tasty and a great way to use up leftover oranges or orange juice.  I compost the peels so nothing is wasted.  :)


Here is the simple recipe:
2C whole wheat flour (next time I will try 1C white and 1C wheat)
1 t. baking soda
1/2t. salt
1/3C sugar (I will add a touch more next time)
1C fresh OJ
1 egg
1/3C oil
optional orange zest....just grate a little in
optional powdered sugar for garnish on top

mix everything together but do not overmix....use cooking spray on muffin tins and bake at 400 degrees for about 17 minutes.

These are a nice breakfast muffin.  Even though I love to bake I do avoid turning on the oven in the summer unless it is early in the day, so these fit the bill!




Let me know if you try them!  Lemon would be fabulous as well.  I have also used up excess grapefruit in the OJ Cake Recipe above, simply by substituting grapefruit juice for OJ.  :)

linking:

2 comments:

  1. looks yummy good. i really love your header shot. what a view. where was it taken? thanks, for sharing. take care. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! Yes the header shot is of Carmel Beach in Carmel-by-the-Sea, California....one of my absolute favorite spots in our country!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...