Monday, August 27, 2012

How to Cook Lentils

 



Lentils are really a healthy, sustainable and inexpensive vegan source of protein.  The problem is, I just haven't been able to eat them..............until now!  :D  Thanks to Caitlin of Roost, I feel I now know how to properly prepare them so that they are easily digestible. 

Although you will find that most people do not believe this is necessary, it is the soaking of the lentils that is crucial.  Caitlin and her husband follow a special diet (please see the beautiful photography on this blog as well as the amazing recipes!) so I figured I should try soaking the lentils and see what happened.

I have made them twice now and have been able to enjoy them tremendously with no problem!

To prepare lentils, cover 1/2C lentils in filtered water for 24 hours prior to cooking.

Rinse and drain:




Next, cook up a little bit of onion in olive oil...


Add the soaked and rinsed lentils, about 1.5C water and a vegetable bouillon cube:




Check the lentils after about 25 minutes.  They may need more time.  You want them soft but not too mushy.  When they appear to be done, drain any remaining vegetable broth off and add salt to taste:



pink Himalayan salt
  

And VOILA!!! Add more seasoning or herbs as desired. Lately I have been cooking up some local veggies in olive oil and then adding about 1/4C of my cooked up lentils at the end and throwing a few chopped herbs on top. Simple, healthy, sustainable and good! :D



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...