Thursday, August 23, 2012

Victorian Charm: Ferndale, CA (tiny town!)

Hi Friends!  Today I thought I would share some images I shot in Ferndale, CA, en route to my son's college.  This is a tiny, historic Victorian town in far northern California near the breathtaking coast and is quite a wonderful departure from where we live in SoCal.  I loved the architecture and charm of this little place.  Ferndale is where food network TV star Guy Fieri called home for most of his childhood.  :)  He must be an adaptable guy because this town is TINY and yet he has successfully navigated Hollywood.  Crazy difference.  :)

Here we go!



Below is a shot of the main drag in town.  It is a super sleepy little town but oh-so-cute!


I loved this church, below:


I could have photographed every home...here is a typical street: 





This abandoned bike had vines growing through it!


Lots of gingerbread:






The home below is more Arts and Crafts, but I loved the stone wall on the exterior:




Details of some of the intricate architectural mouldings:



Ferndale is just south of Eureka/Arcata on Hwy 101.  I noticed that the flowers were especially healthy what with all that ocean mist and fog they must get all the time.  While there, we had a quick snack and discussed whether or not we could ever live in such a tiny town...made for an interesting discussion.

I hope you enjoyed the images.  :)  I want to go back! 

linking:


2 comments:

  1. What a charming little town! I live in a tiny town and I love it. I grew up in Chicago and I prefer a little town! This was a fun post to read. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet looking town. I live in a tiny town or just outside one in the country. Life is a Dream! It takes all kinds to make the world go rounds. Everytime I visit a city I think. . .I'm so glad to be livin' in the country. Enjoy your weekend.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...