Saturday, September 29, 2012

Apple Picking


 
 
Hi Friends!  I hope you all are enjoying cooler fall weather (we are supposed to see temps in the 100s again this week!  Hello?).
 
To try to get myself in the mood for fall, I convinced my husband to take a small adventure with me to go apple picking in Julian, CA this weekend. It is about a 2 hour drive from home and the apples are not available on the trees for picking much longer.  Last year somehow I thought of this idea too late and, after a little research, figured out that November is certainly well beyond apple picking in Julian.
 
This was a fun day.  We arrived in Julian around 12:30.  It is a quaint and very old little town.  
 


 

 a horse drawn buggy touring the little town
 
We arrived rather hungry, so the first thing we did when we got to town was to eat some of their delicious homemade apple pie.  My piece had no sugar added and was still amazing!
 
 
 
This little chicken was like a pet at the back of the apple pie store...
 
"let me out!"

 


 
After our pie eating, we walked around the cute town and I bought a couple of Christmas gifts in the gift shops.  These were not exactly the types of stores my husband likes to frequent (think potpourri and tourists), so I tried to make it quick!  Then we were on to the...
 

lovely scenery...

 
...and the wine tasting!  This old truck was in front of the winery, pointing the way.  We had a great view and good conversation with the owners of the winery.  I always enjoy talking to people we meet when we are out.  I wonder if I seem overly friendly?
 
 

 
 
After the wine, we headed to the apple orchard, where there were many varieties of dwarf-sized organic apples to pick. 
 
I loved the signage...


 
 
We really had a good time together picking, tasting and gathering our bag of apples.  Many people had dogs with them and I saw the most beautiful 9 month old Golden Retriever I think I have ever seen.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
I loved these baby apples.....this is my favorite shot of the day (below):
 


 
After the orchard, we drove to Carlsbad for dinner.  Wow, how I love Carlsbad. 
 
When we got home, I emptied our apples into my rustic wooden dough bowl.

 
 
I think it at least gives a FALL feeling to the dining room...even if it is still 90 degrees out!
 
 
 
 
 
Happy Early Fall!  :)
 



3 comments:

  1. Those pictures are beautiful and I love the apples in the dough bowl. It's like a magazine shot! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maureen! The apples are really cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I clicked on your link from My Romantic Home's Show & Tell! Your blog is lovely, and I have enjoyed seeing the apples. Ugh, I'm from your neck o' the woods, sort of, and even though we're more north but not very far inland, we also have been in the 90s til a day or so ago, with no hints really of fall. It's good you got a taste (literally) of it, on your apple sojourn.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...