Saturday, April 6, 2013

Fertilizing Camellias with Coffee Grounds

So....after my confession last week (click HERE if interested), I thought I would post something helpful on green living.  :)
 
 
Here in SoCal we have several Camellia bushes, red in front and pink in the backyard (click HERE to see the front yard, and/or click HERE to see our little backyard).  They are an acid loving plant and do well in SoCal thanks to our mild winters as long as they are in filtered light (they do not like direct sun). 
 
Anyway, my husband is the coffee maker and we use a French Press for our coffee each morning.  So rather than fertilize these flowers with a commercial fertilizer, we simply add our coffee grounds with a little water near their stems.
 
 


I think this has been the best year yet for the backyard blooms!  So if you have an acid loving plant, you may want to at least try using coffee grounds at the base of your plant before dumping them into the compost.
 
Hope this tip helps!  Click my Greener Living label for any other helpful information.  :)
 



7 comments:

  1. I have one camilla and I planted it in full sun! I didn't realize what a hot little spot I planted it in until it was too late. However, it did bloom really well this year. I am now goingn to do the coffee ground trick and also to the hydragrana! Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten this trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such beautiful photos. Love the pink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.

    When I look at your blog in Chrome, it looks fine but when opening in
    Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to
    give you a quick heads up! Other then that, wonderful blog!


    Look into my blog - graduate certificate online

    ReplyDelete
  4. This paragraph will help the internet visitors for building up new web site or even a
    weblog from start to end.

    My homepage ... graduate certificate programs online

    ReplyDelete
  5. This paragraph will help the internet visitors for
    building up new web site or even a weblog from start to end.


    Feel free to visit my homepage graduate certificate programs online

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there mates, how is everything, and what you desire to
    say regarding this article, in my view its genuinely awesome in
    support of me.

    Here is my web blog ... graduate certificate online

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howdy! I just would like to offer you a big thumbs up for the great information you have here on this post.
    I am returning to your blog for more soon.


    Here is my webpage: Microsoft Registry cleaner

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...