Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Swiss Chard Pesto


 
I often get Swiss Chard in my CSA box and typically make a variation of these Tartlets, which are fantastic.  But I wanted to try something that my husband would get a bit more excited about and wondered if I could make a pesto instead.
 
I have made it twice now and it has been a big hit.  He has had it on pasta as well as spread onto pizza for the "sauce," as well as onto crackers as a "dip."
 
Here is what I do:


 
Wash the chard well.  I have found that this is important, as bits of sandy or muddy dirt can house itself onto the stems easily.
 
Cut up the entire bunch.


 
 
Next, sauté the chard in olive oil with about 5 minced garlic cloves until wilted.  I usually put the top on this pan for a bit to wilt and cook the mixture down.



 
 
When the chard is cooked, let it cool a bit.  Then process it with about 1C of nuts (I used raw cashews and pecans here, but you could use pine nuts as in traditional pesto or walnuts...honestly, I use what I have on hand for these kinds of things), 1/2C EVOO, 1/4C parmesan cheese, and some sea salt and pepper.  Add some lemon juice toward the end of the processing (about 1.5T).
 
Take out the pesto and taste it.  Add more sea salt if needed.
 
When you are finished it is a lovely pea green color (reminds me of that book that began "the owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea green boat..." anyone recall that one???).
 
This pesto gets better with time.  Store in the fridge or freeze for later.
 
Very healthy.  Enjoy.  :)

linking: http://frugallysustainable.com/



7 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious and healthy! I will have to try this. Visiting from Frugally Sustainable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all over this one! Great way to use my usual abundance of chard. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey There. I discovered your blog the usage of msn. This is a really smartly written article.
    I'll make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info. Thank you for the post. I will definitely comeback.

    Feel free to surf to my web-site mywritingcoach.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! We grow a lot of basil every year, but we always have swiss chard (so much of it that I feed it to the chickens and llamas). I'm going to try this recipe this weekend (thanks so much!). Although, raw garlic has medicinal properties compared to cooked, so I'll process the raw garlic in the food processor with the wilted chard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never liked chard....do you think I would still like this? It's one of the veggies that we can grow easily :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adrienne! I am not sure, but I like it and I don't particularly love chard. I like kale and spinach much more than chard and find them more versatile, but lately I am trying to be more creative with the chard I get and I do like this pesto! :D

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the recipe. I plan to grow swiss chard this summer and am looking for recipes. Going to bookmark for later.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...