Friday, July 5, 2013

Mid-year and Natural Cleaning :)

 
Hello!  Here we are in the heat of July (actually our September in southern California is typically much hotter than our July).  My paying job has stopped until the end of August, and it is time for spring cleaning....only, it's summer cleaning in my case.  :)  My minimalist son is back from college.....and with him came quite bit of laundry, books, and other odds and ends. 
 
In my quest for greener living, I have moved toward more healthy cleaning products.  I have previously blogged about my love for Mrs. Meyer's cleaning products here, but lately I am finding that I can do pretty well using the following ingredients:
baking soda
white vinegar
water
essential oil for a nice smell-I like lavender such as this one here
borax (borax is a natural mineral)
a bit of oil of some type (olive, citrus for furniture, baby oil for stainless)



I find very little need for paper towels anymore.  I will confess that I do keep a spare roll under my kitchen sink because they are hard for others in my home to completely do without.  But it is very rare that I will use one, preferring instead to use washable cloths (microfiber are particularly good).
 

 
Here are some helpful recipes to try...and you can find many more on PINTEREST.
 
Glass Cleaner:
1/2C white vinegar
4C water
 
General Cleaner (adapted from Anthea Turner):
2 T white vinegar
2C water
2t. Borax
about 5-7+ drops lavender oil
 
On Baking Soda:
Lately, I have been using simple baking soda mixed as a paste to clean my glass stovetop.  If I am careful with this stove to remove any spilled ingredients right away, I am finding that just a little elbow grease and a baking soda paste work fine to clean it all off.  We all know the wonders of baking soda for the fridge and for flushing the kitchen sink.  Baking soda can also be used to clean and flushed down the toilet. 
 
On Dusting Furniture (recipe from Pinterest):
1 Cup Vinegar
1 Cup Water
1 tsp Olive Oil
1 Lemon Rind
2-3 Microfiber Cloths
Jar with a lid
 Directions: Mix the vinegar, water, and oil, in a bowl. Soak your microfiber cloths in the solution, squeeze out excess water, and place in the jar with lemon rinds wrapped around.
 
On Laundry and Dish Detergent: 
For these, I am still using store-bought products.  I have previously made my own laundry soap, but sneezed throughout the entire soap-grating process and was not motivated to attempt it again.  :)  However, as always, I am quite open to suggestions if anyone's got them.  :)
 
Happy Mid-Year Cleaning!
 

2 comments:

  1. I love cleaning our home with natural cleaners as well. :-) And I essentials are so much fun. They add such a lovely scent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you - anything lavender scented is lovely! Like you, I prefer natural cleaners and they work quite well! (Visiting from Frugal Days Sustainable Ways)

    ~Taylor-Made Ranch~
    Wolfe City, Texas

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...