Sunday, April 27, 2014

Urban Homesteading

We live in an area of the country that is extremely expensive.  Consequently, the homes are packed in and the yards (assuming you even have a yard) are tiny.  And even though I am a working professional, I am a total (TOTAL) homebody and homemaker at heart.  I even have homesteading tendencies.....if we had the space I would have chickens, large gardens, and a small orchard!    :)  

Below is what I have got going on at the moment.....you will see that our backyard is basically a patio.  While I have been very successful with flowers, I have not fared as well growing food in our space (except for our orange tree which takes NO work on my part).  So wish me luck!  Not photographed is some lettuce that I am trying to grow, some additional herbs and our orange tree.

Strawberries...

This is the tiny space I am using to grow some produce in containers.  Some get morning sun and some get afternoon sun....we will see what survives!

I have a blackberry bush started here...

These are two containers planted with tomatoes, basil, cucumber and zucchini.

A new lemon tree replaced an old palm that outgrew it's space and had to be removed.  It's in a great spot for sun and near our orange tree.  :)

I think a clothesline is not smiled upon by our city but my dryer is not very efficient and I prefer to be greener...


If anyone out there has an urban garden, I would love to hear any pointers!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...